It took me a long while to call myself an artist, and to be honest I still use the work tentatively. Yes I make beautiful things with my hands. But in my mind until I create ONLY my own designs/patterns, I don't really consider myself an artist. My favorite pieces on etsy are the ones I did create and they are the most fun to make. They are also the most time consuming. You may start with a drawing of your idea but once you actually start sewing the beads together that's when you find out what really works as far as size and color. So there could be alot of tearing out and/or starting over. In the end when you get it just right, eeeeeeeeeeee, it's the best feeling. Some projects take along time to make, as you can imagine seeing the hundreds of tiny beads in one piece. I may start out loving it but by the time I finish it, I'm tired of looking at it. The thrill is gone so to speak. Usually all I need to do is show my sister "K" have her put it on (once she stops oohing and aahing) and I see the beauty of the piece again. I wish I could just bead all day, really that's the fun part. If I could afford to. I wouldn't mind working all day. The not so fun part is selling it. The art fairs are great if you get good weather. It's nice to get out and get feedback from customers. It's a lot of work though, setting up and breaking down. I only do a few a year I can't image doing a whole year full like some artist. That would really become a job. Selling on the internet is trying. Don't get me wrong etsy is very helpful with their forums and chat rooms, but it's also information over load! I wish there was a book. With steps A, B, C to start up your etsy shop and for getting your name/work out there in search engines so people can find you. I'm a lucky one because I sit in front of a computer all day, when we're slow I'm on the net reading about what some others have tryied. I have spent HOURS reading up on what to do to get a sale. Nothing has worked yet. I'm not discouraged, I just wish I knew what to do to get people to my shop. So if you happen upon this blog from a search would you mind leaving a comment saying so. And if you have the time a note about what I could do different to help with sales would be most appreciated.
I'll leave you with this video, now this is a true artist. Forget about paying football players millions, this guy should get that!
This is really incredibly, raw talent! WOW!
AWESOME video
ReplyDeleteDH